Traffic and Safety
Welcome! Creating a safe and positive environment for our students is an ongoing goal at La Costa Heights. We ask that you take a few minutes to review our procedures to ensure the safety of all our students.
Kindergarten is hand-to-hand dismissal. All Kindergarten students are to be dropped off and picked up directly to and from their classrooms. Kindergarten parents must park in a legal parking place and walk their child to and from their classrooms. Drive Through Procedures do not apply to Kindergarteners.
Click HERE to view Kinder specific pick up and drop off procedures.
Drive Through Procedure – Front of School
- Enter the school driveway from the west end, turning right into the lot. No left turn into the parking lot.
- Enter the school driveway using the right lane and drive forward as far as possible along the white curb.
- Have your child(ren) ready to exit the car before you enter the lot (i.e., backpacks, lunch money, etc.)
- Have your child exit from the passenger side of your vehicle and step directly down to the curb.
- Loading and unloading is only permissible along the curb beginning at the “Start Pick Up/Drop Off” sign. Pull as far forward as possible along the white curb.
- Follow directions from staff and student leaders in the drive through.
- Follow all traffic safety laws and respect the directions of the personnel.
- Double parking and parking in red zones are prohibited.
- Remain in your car when dropping off children.
- Never leave the car in the loading/unloading area.
- Drive slowly and watch out for children as you exit. No left turns out of the parking lot.
- Do not drop off or pick up your children in the street. Obey all traffic laws.
- Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
- While on campus, stay on the sidewalk and walk your bike. Bikes are not permitted in the parking lot.
- Follow all traffic laws for biking and pedestrians (i.e. wear bike helmets, use cross walks, etc.)
- If you do not walk with your child, groups of students should walk together. Students should not walk alone.
- Use designated crosswalks. Do not walk through the parking lot.
- Teach your child safety rules: how to cross the street, not to talk to strangers, walking with friends, etc.
Arrival and Dismissal
- Campus supervision begins at 7:45am. Students are not to arrive before this time.
- Be sure your child knows your after school pick up plans (i.e. where to meet you, who is picking up, etc.).
- Follow the Drive Through Procedures for pick up and drop off.
- Do not walk through the parking lot. Crosswalks must be used at all times.
- Campus supervision ends at 2:35pm Monday through Thursday and at 1:00pm on Fridays.
- To ensure the safety of all our students, gates surrounding campus are locked at 8:05am and unlocked at 2:10pm.
- Remember: Staff on duty are not available for conferences or answering questions. They are responsible for student safety. Please refrain from having conversations with students and staff on duty.
- The green curb in front of the school is designated for home-to-school transportation for students in specialized programs. This is a loading zone and drivers are to stay in their vehicle. Please refer to the signs adjacent to the green curb for specific time restrictions.
LCH families are encouraged to park at Christ Presbyterian Church (in the large parking lot) less than ½ mile from school on Centella Street and walk to/from school. This will ease car congestion and give you the opportunity to spend time with your child walking to/from school!
Your patience and cooperation are needed following all of the procedures.
You will ensure the safety for all students at La Costa Heights.